Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Metacognition: Jane Eyre

I think that this book went really well for me in both reading comprehension and thought. I've always been interested in 19th century as well as early 20th century women, and I think that Jane Eyre helped that interest flourish. I really enjoyed reading Jane Eyre, almost because of the slow pace. It was nice not to have to speed through conversation and really get a feel for the characters without being thrown into the book in the first chapter.

There were a couple surprises about my thinking that I caught myself on. The most major was how cynical I am, especially late at night. As I read how Jane rejected Rivers' proposal, I was egging her on instead of encouraging her to go with a stable man who would take care of her as his wife. I also found myself compelled to want to encourage Jane to act out and rashly as a young child in the beginning of the story and at Lowood.

I liked how I was able to think about our discussion on love from Once, and how we talked about the different types of love. I think that I was able to recall this so frequently when reading because of the many different types of love Jane experiences and how that love changes. I think that I could probably think more clearly if I marked more in the book as I read, and that would also help me decide which passages to choose for discussion. Overall, I really enjoyed reading Jane Eyre, and I think that this novel has really honed my thinking skills.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Email Me!